We are getting questions again about the EPA's "RRP" law, so I will hit on the basics. The law states that "Beginning April 22, 2010, federal law requires that contractors performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb more than six square feet of paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 must be certified and trained to follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination."  Individuals can become certified renovators by taking an eight-hour training course from an EPA-approved training provider. 

Now before you panic remember some facts. 1st) This only applies to the homes built before 1978 that have lead. 2nd) Only 24% of the homes built between 1960 & 1978 have lead. 3rd) The work practice standards in these regulations do not apply to minor repairs or maintenance defined as:

(1) Interior work disturbing less than six square feet per room of painted surface.

(2) Exterior work disturbing less than twenty square feet of painted surface.

(3) All window replacements require lead safe practices

The first thing you should do is determine if you have lead. We sell EPA approved lead test kits. Then go to the EPA's web site and get all the facts. At that point you can make an intelligent decision. This blog is to offer basic information and is not intended to be legal or lead advice, just a place to help you get started.